Frequently asked questions
- Any Certified Dog Trainer, Certified Obedience Instructor, or Certified Animal Behaviorist is approved to perform the Control Evaluation.
- Love on a Leash does not recommend or affiliate with specific trainers or facilities.
- No. While very similar in content, your pet must pass the Love on a Leash® Control Evaluation regardless of any other testing or certification obtained.
- In most cases, the AKC evaluator can administer our Control Evaluation at the same time they administer the CGC testing.
- There are many good dog trainers around. While not required, basic obedience courses are a good idea. Some trainers offer specific courses for Therapy Dog preparation.
- Love on a Leash® is not affiliated with and does not endorse or recommend any specific pet training resources. A quick internet search for “dog trainers in city, state” will yield a suitable list.
- If you are in an area where there is a chapter, contact the chapter leader. Go to the Chapter Search page on this website; enter your zip code to find the closest chapters.
- If there is no chapter near you, email National Love on a Leash® to see if there are any certified “at large” members nearby who are available to supervise you. If there is no one within reasonable proximity, then we will assist you with obtaining approval for a non-Love on a Leash® substitute.
- You must seek prior approval from National before beginning any visits with a non-Love on a Leash® supervisor; the pre-approval email and completed substitute form must be included with the application packet you submit after your supervised visits are completed.
- You may not go on visits unless you are accompanied by a certified Love on a Leash member or a substitute who has been pre-approved by National Love on a Leash®.
No. Love on a Leash® certifies pet therapy teams and is not involved with training or locating animals who may be good candidates for pet therapy. We have no involvement with Emotional Support or Service animals.
- If there is a chapter in your area, contact your local Love on a Leash® chapter to request a visit. To determine if there is a chapter in your area, go to the Chapter Search area of this website, under the Chapters drop down menu above. Enter your zip code to find the closest chapter.
- If there is no chapter near you, email email@example.com and ask if there are any “at large” members in your area who might be able to visit.
- Members of other organizations are welcome to join Love on a Leash® as well; however, they must follow the same steps to certification. Pet therapy memberships do not transfer from one organization to another.
- Love on a Leash® members may go on visits alongside teams that are certified by other legitimate pet therapy organizations, provided they abide by all Love on a Leash® guidelines.
QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS
- For new membership applications, please allow up to 4 weeks for processing.
- For membership renewals and other purchases, please allow up to 2 weeks to receive your IDs and/or merchandise.
You will receive an email reminder from our automated service during the first week of the month that your membership expires (your expiration date is printed on your ID cards). Please check your spam or junk folder if you do not receive it.
There are two options for renewal (we do not accept any form of payment over the phone):
- Renew online. Go to the Member Login area and log into your account. You will be asked for your Member ID (located on your membership card) or your email address and Password. Once you have logged in, click “Membership Renewal” on the left and follow the instructions. Select “Submit and Continue to PayPal” to complete payment. A PayPal account is not required. There is an option to pay by credit card at the bottom of the PayPal login window. No additional fees will be charged.
- Request a renewal form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; print it and mail it back to us with a check. If you do not have a printer, please ask us to mail your renewal form to you. Please allow sufficient time for USPS, since you cannot visit with expired IDs.
- If you are less than 30 days overdue, you may renew without penalty.
- If you are more than 30 days overdue you may still renew, but there is a $15 late fee.
- If your membership has lapsed for more than one year, you are considered “inactive” and must repeat the entire certification process. Download a new application and follow each step to become a member again.
- Whether you are Overdue or Inactive, you may not go on any visits until you have valid IDs in your possession, as our insurance only covers Active members.
This occasionally happens if your renewal times out, you submitted your renewal but did not pay, or if you try to go back to a previous page. Email us if this happens to you, and we will reset your account so you can log in again. Please do not keep trying, as that will lock your account for a full hour.
- First, ensure you are using the correct Member ID#; it must be yours, not your pet’s.
- If you are still unsuccessful, email email@example.com or leave a voicemail at (760) 740-2326 for help. Email is the fastest way to get a response, as our voicemail is retrieved less frequently.
- Our Certificate of Liability Insurance is available under Helpful Documents in the member area of our website. It renews each year in September.
- If you are a team in training, and a facility you intend to visit requests a copy of our Certificate of Liability Insurance, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If a facility wishes to be added to our insurance policy as an added insured, they must submit the paperwork and $50 fee. The form is available under Helpful Documents in the member area of our website.
- You must be a current Love on a Leash® member to buy merchandise.
- Some items (vests, bandanas, replacement ID cards, etc.) are purchased directly from Love on a Leash®. Go to the Member Login area and log into your account using your Member ID and Password. Click on Order Merchandise in the left margin, and select the item you are interested in.
- If you are looking for items such as trading cards, bookmarks, logo’d shirts, jackets, hats, masks, etc. there are links to our official vendors on the Order Merchandise page.
- Only our authorized vendors may reproduce our logo, so members may not create their own. Patches are available and can be sewn on your own shirts, vests, etc.
- If there is a problem with the items you received directly from Love on a Leash® (ID cards, vests, certificates, etc.) send an email to email@example.com or leave a voicemail at (760) 740-2326 describing the problem.
- If there is a problem with merchandise ordered from one of our vendors, please contact the vendor directly.
- Replacement ID cards are $6 each and may be ordered from the Order Merchandise page of your Member account. See “Where can I buy Love on a Leash® merchandise?” above.
- No. Members may not accept anything of value. We are volunteers and visits are always free.
- Unsolicited donations must be conferred to the National Love on a Leash® organization. All checks must be made payable to Love on a Leash®. Chapters are required to mail any donation checks to:
Love on a Leash®, PO Box 4548,
Oceanside, CA 92052-4548
- If your work permits it, you may do so. Note that when members are at work, they are not volunteering and are therefore not covered by the Love on a Leash® liability policy.
- All therapy teams are volunteers. Love on a Leash® is not affiliated with any for-profit entities, therefore, Love on a Leash® trademarks or apparel may not be worn during any activity that involves payment of any kind. If you, as a handler of a therapy pet, are at work with your pet or working in any capacity, then the Love on a Leash® trademarks and apparel must be removed from the handler and pet until the therapy team’s activity is clearly volunteer only.
- We do not remove any members (human or pet) from our database. If we are notified of a pet’s or handler’s death or retirement from Love on a Leash®, we change the status from Active to No Renew. This stops the renewal reminder emails that members receive.
- A member who loses or retires a pet has the option to become a Continuing Member with Love on a Leash®. You will keep your ID number so that if you choose to certify a new pet, you simply select the “Current/Continuing Member Adding” a pet option on your application. A Continuing Member is subject to a $15 annual renewal fee and may continue supervising teams-in-training on their visits.
- Please log into your account and refer to the Chapter Information page or the Chapters section of our Guidelines for detailed information covering Chapters.
- No. We know how much fun visits are; of course we are all proud of the work we do and would love to share the experience. However, because a pet therapy team is defined as one member and one pet, our insurance does not cover members in the event of an incident if a guest accompanies the team during visits. It is important that our focus during visits is on our pet and the person we are visiting.